Questions about ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NicInNC, Nov 15, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I've never had a duck in my life, so please excuse any ignorant questions I may ask!

Can they live in the same area as chickens?

Do they and chickens get along well?

Would two ducks be enough?

Do they eat the same feed as chickens when they get older?

Do they have to be free range or can they be in a run and let out daily for a few hours? (Our run is 20x15 and we have 2 banties and 4 regular size chickens).

Would a dog house be sufficient for them to sleep in?

Can they handle the cold?

How long until they can be put outside?

Are they loud?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Pretty much yes yes yes for the list [​IMG]

Ducks do need more niacin than chickens though. You can supplement for the ducks.

They can be outside once they are fully feathered.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have some outside now that aren't even close to being fully feathered but we haven't gotten very cold yet. I feed them the same feed as the chickens only I let them out each morning to run around the yard and eat anything they want. Mine are only out for maybe an hour each morning. The dog house would be fine. Mine have a house but they seldom sleep in it, they sleep out in the run mostly.
    One thing you might want to know though, is that they are really smelly while they are in the brooder. It also will have to be cleaned a lot oftener than a brooder with chickens in it.

4. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Can they fly over a 4 foot fence?

5. btrent94

btrent94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Glendale, AZ
    if you get a heavy breed such as Pekin .. no

Otherwise .. yes, very easily [​IMG] HAHA

(I think???)

6. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    So would you recommend a Pekin? Are they tame and friendly if we play with them often? The run where our chickens live is over 6 foot high, so it's not a concern there. We have a creek separating the fenced in area of our backyard and where the chickens are. I thought that maybe the ducks could live in the fenced in back yard though. But if they enjoy being with chickens, I'll put them out there. I let the chickens out daily for a 1-5 hours.

7. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Can they live in the same area as chickens? Yes. Our chickens and ducks are housed together with no problems.

Do they and chickens get along well? Yes they get along well, unless one of them is aggressive

Would two ducks be enough? 2 sounds plenty. We have 5, and I think that's one too many.

Do they eat the same feed as chickens when they get older? Yes. We have our chickens/ducks on Layer crumbles, and have had no problems. We also supplement with Calf Mana, Oyster Shell and they get the Duck eggs as I find them not good to eat!

Do they have to be free range or can they be in a run and let out daily for a few hours? (Our run is 20x15 and we have 2 banties and 4 regular size chickens). I would let them stay in a run, and be let out for a while. Dont forget a swimming pool for them! That's how they bathe

Would a dog house be sufficient for them to sleep in? Not sure on this one- do you mean lock them up in it at night or have it to where they can go in and out? It should be no problems if they can go in/out as they please.

Can they handle the cold?Yes, but we usually bring everyone in for the night (like in the garage) if it get's under 40 or if there is a freeze warning.

How long until they can be put outside?They have to be fully feathered.

Are they loud?No, unless you get a whole bunch of Call Ducks! Our Pekins, Rouen and Cayugas do quack, but you can't hear it inside the house.

What kind(s) are you getting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by