1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 4H kids and mom, Mar 14, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Ok, we have a mix of EE's and Ameraucanas now about a week and a half old. I have several questions. As far as 4H goes, can the children show either of these. or just the Ameraucanas? I have heard that EEs are not 'show' material...does that refer to 4H showing, or just the major poultry shows? At their current age, we are beginning to tell who's who and whats what. The Ameraucanas all have tails and beards. The EEs look more 'hodge-podge' or 'thrown together' with some having tails, some not, some have muffs or tufts or beards but their is no regularity. The Ameraucanas appear to be of some of the standard colors. We can see that we have a few Blues, a few Buffs, one White (unsure on this one as it has dark orange head markings?), one Black, and a few Brown-Reds. The EEs feathers look similar to an owls or hawks with speckles of all colors from white to black, grey, brown, orange, buff, blue, etc. Some are clean headed too. Some are striped, some are spotted. Our ChickenDuck looks exactly like a baby mallard duck! I guess I'm just wondering which of these cuties the kids will be able to show off. I know theres a breeder here, and was hoping he/she might know. Or anyone else in 4H? Any ideas?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would hope 4H encourages breeds be shown based on the standard of perfection (even if some leniency is allowed to educate the children). That being said, EEs do not meet any standard of perfection and really should not be shown. I have heard of people showing them as Ameraucana and Araucana and placing, however I don't see how. Although, I'm sure you can get some EEs that come out looking close to an Ameraucana. We use ameraucana in our breeding pens, so definitely a possibility here. In my opinion, EEs are a backyard pet and purely for pleasure.

It does sound like you have some good potential in your Ameraucana colors, so I would focus on those - that would be most beneficial to the kids.

The Ameraucana club site has some great pictures of the birds, that are worth a look.

Jody

3. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Thats wonderful! I had hoped to hear from you! Your birds are sooo lovely! 4H does incourage variety and they aren't TOO picky. I suppose if a hatchery TOLD you they were Ameraucanas and thats what you beleived, 4H would allow them to be shown if they were really Easter Eggers. 4H is primarily for children, and I would think (unlike a major poultry show) they wouldn't discourage a child's project simply because the hatchery misinformed them. Would you by chance have a link to the Ameraucana club site, or can I just google it?

PS...Is it correct to pronouce it Ame-roo-cana? Thats how we've been sayin it and just want to make sure! lol [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Here is the club site:

http://www.ameraucana.org/index.html

I pronounce it "Ah - meer - Ah - Cahn - Ah"

I hope the kids enjoy them and have lots of fun in 4H. It certainly is a wonderful opportunity for learning.

Jody

5. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    While technically you *could* show an EE in 4H, your kids wouldn't do well and depending on the judge, they could get a DQ. The clubs out here really encourage sticking to the SOP and I imagine most are going to be the same way. If they are really young, like primaries, they can use a EE for showmanship as it isn't the bird that is being judged technically, but their ability to handle it, but they are usually better off with a nice quality bird.

Good luck with your birds! Even though EE's aren't recognized, they make great flock additions.

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Black Ameraucanas and Black Easter eggers are nearly identical

black meraucana
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/413106/lf-black-ameraucana-pair-blehm-lines

black Easter egger
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/cats-critters-chicken-blog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by