Questions about egg laying and hen volume (noise)...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DobermanGuy, Sep 9, 2012.

1. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    I think I finally figured out who my first egg layer is. I found one sitting in the roost where I have been finding the eggs and she was LOUD! She went on and on for about 10 minutes - took a few minute break and was then right back at it with all the noise.None of my other hens ever make so much racket but so far none of them have started laying eggs yet.

Is this normal? Do hens usually make a lot of noise when laying? Will they ever quiet down?

I have TSC red pullets if that makes any difference here. Appreciate any wisdom here. [​IMG]

I know for sure that there are at least 3 or 4 other houses in my neighborhood with chickens in their backyards but I have never heard any of them making noises as loudly as my hen has been...

[​IMG]

2. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    I have two that just started laying three weeks ago, and finally one other had her first egg today. :) My RIR has always been super loud after laying her eggs- to the point I have been afraid the neighbors might complain, even though we are allowed chickens in town. She will lay, then sing a loud egg song, eat, then start back up. The Black Australorp that laid her first egg today was super loud right before she laid and then immediately after. You never hear a peep from my Barred Rock after laying.

3. I find that younger hens can be a lot louder. Then again some just walk off their nest like nothing happened. They seem to quiet down after a while though. When they're really loud I whistle gently for a bit to calm them down, or you can stroke their wattles.

It's perfectly normal though.

Best of Luck~Ms.B. :)

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    We have 3 of our 6 red sexlinks who seem to feel the need to proclaim to the whole neighborhood when an egg has been laid...whether it's theirs or not, LOL. Fortunately, it doesn't last long, particularly if I go collect it right away.

5. Vickilynn45

Apr 16, 2012
    Good idea, I will try that!

6. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop
    My Black Australorp, Aretha, is a loudmouth, while the other 6 are fairly quiet. I guess she's just a born singer:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Aptly named, no? Since she was the first to lay, I guess she's telling the world that she expects some

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  7. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Thanks for the info everyone...

The hen got really quiet just recently so I went and looked and found this where she was roosting:

[​IMG]

I gave her some treats before I removed the egg... LOL! [​IMG]

So far this hen has laid 4 eggs for me. She laid one each day for two day in a row then took a single day for a break and went right back to laying one each day for two days in a row. 5 days and 4 eggs from her. So far I have not heard a single peep from her since she gave me this egg. Things are quiet now!

It is going to be really noisy around here if they all decide to be so vocal before egg laying! [​IMG]

8. Vickilynn45

Apr 16, 2012
    OMG- I LOVE this- that was the perfect name for her!

9. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop
    Confession: That's not an actual picture of Aretha, as I can't get her to stay still long enough to take a photo. But, it looks EXACTLY like her; could be her identical twin. Anyway, I had them in the tractor today, and she was making such a racket that I finally put her back in the coop. She fussed around, going in and out of the hen house, and finally got in the nest box. Just now, I heard her singing her egg song all the way upstairs in the house (the windows are open: GLORIOUS day!). I swear she laid an egg and sang this morning, too, so it could be her second egg for the day. Either that, or someone else laid an egg just like hers, and sang a similar egg song.

Darn conniving, subversive chickens!!

I LOVE Aretha, though. Because of their over sized personalities, she and the sassy splash BLRW bantam, Olivia, are my favorite girls.

10. Oh, OK. I was gonna say that it looked like a roo.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by