1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about egg laying.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rashid100, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Rashid100

Rashid100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Hello everyone. I have a breeding trio of button quails but only one female is laying. The other one stopped about a month back and hasn't laid ever since. She's less than a year and a half old. The male mates with both of them, what can be the reason for this and how do you guys suggest I fix it?
    Any replies would really help. Thank you!

2. drewskimac

drewskimac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    At this time of year, I always blame decreased egg production on shorter days. You can give them artificial light on a timed schedule. Some people don't like that idea, some people are fine with it, it is your choice.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm inclined to think she's got some kind of stress issue since she stopped a while back. Drew is right though if you don't turn on a light for an extra few hours a day the other one will stop soon too.

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    is her chest puffed out? Is she eating regularly? Does she have oyster shell or another form of calcium? Has she had a loss of feathers, molting?
    Buttons do much better in single pairs. less stress.

5. Rashid100

Jul 13, 2014
    I will try artificial light and increase oyster shell. Thanks guys!

6. Rashid100

Jul 13, 2014
    Still hasn't satrted laying :( I increased oyster shell and light. But nothing. She seems a little puffed up

7. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I will go back to stress from being in a trio. or is there something else that can be making her upset?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by