Questions about egg shells in coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by franny1021, Aug 4, 2010.

1. franny1021

franny1021 New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    I have 5 ladies and one rooster that I bought recently. Several have started to lay and enjoying the eggs but have a question about white shell like material that is somewhat leather like in appearance.Will see several new ones of this each day. Does anyone know what this is and how to correct for this?
    thanks,
    Del

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Often times new layers will lay rubbery eggs, is that what you're referring to? If so, that's normal for newbies. My first egg from my EE looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    They're just getting in the groove and should start producing regular, hard-shelled eggs in no time. They should be eating layer feed and have oyster shell free choice (for the calcium to keep the shells good and hard).

3. franny1021

franny1021 New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    Thanks for your reply. We have gathered several eggs that are rubbery, but this "white "skin has no egg inside and is flat but looks like an egg shell that didn't develop. How often does your hubby clean the board under the roost? looks like it has vinyl on it.
    thanks,
    Del

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:That is an eggshell, again not to worry.

How often does my husband clean the droppings board?! [​IMG] [​IMG] I do it every morning. There is vinyl on top of it, it makes cleaning it super easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by