questions about feathering out

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jag, May 9, 2007.

1. jag

jag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    My chicks are almost 4 weeks old. Do they keep or lose the feathers that they are growing now? If they do keep these, are these feathers going to be an undercoat that gets covered with new feathers? Do these feather colors change, get more defined?
    I'm asking mostly because my Delawares are getting a lot of black through their wings and on their upper backs. I was under the impression that they were mostly white with black in the neck and tail. So I've been wondering about feathering out, feather structure and things like do the new feathers bother them, are they stressed when growing new feathers...etc.
    I've tried googling it and I'm not finding anything.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

They go through about 3 molts in their first year, so they will lose the feathers they have now. And yes the colors will change and improve as they get older.

New feathers do tend to be sensitive because they have an active blood supply. Molting is very stressful for most adult chickens, but it doesn't seem to be as hard on chicks maybe because they are on a higher protien chick food.

3. jag

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    Thanks Ella! After checking yesterday, it looks as though the Deli's are getting more white feathers on their wings...I am apparently just too impatient. [​IMG] I absolutely love seeing them feather out!

4. earthy_chicks

earthy_chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    I'm also curious about roosters feathering out. Can anyone share info about approximately when a chick will start to get the distinct roo feathering???

5. kansas_twister

kansas_twister Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    s.w. kansas
    very good question i was going to ask the same thing.....i am dying to know how my little guys are going to turn out....jag what part of maine? i have a beach house in york county

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

When they get their rooster feathers depends on what breed they are, the banties feather out quicker for instance.

My Buff Orp roo took about 5 months before he even starting getting his pointy sickle and hackle feathers. His two roommates- an Australorp and a Red Sex-Link had their big boy feathers by 4 months.

For some of the larger breeds it's easier to figure out which ones are the boys from size.

7. jag

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I'm right outside of Bangor - up here in central Maine. But, I think I'd rather be in a beach house in York county right about now!!! [​IMG]

Well, my girls (and boy) are 4 weeks old today! The delawares seem to be getting a lot more white feathers now, and they are getting the cute little black pearls on their necks. [​IMG] (I hate to pick favorites, but these Deli's make it hard...they are so sweet, trusting & friendly! I love 'em.)
    Watching feather growth is way too much fun! One of my americaunas is looking like she's getting those really vibrant orangey feathers!! Oh I hope so.

But, as much fun as feather growth is, I just noticed my suspected BLRW roo is getting wattles!!!!!! [​IMG] I'm tellin' ya, if this is a roo, I think he's going to be an easy going roo. He's the calmest bird in the whole flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by