questions about feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by countrygirl911, Jun 24, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    hi i am feeding my chickens 5 that are 7 to 8 weeks old and 5 that are 4 to 6 week old chickend feed that is 50 percent started and 50 percent grower feed and is medicated i just found out that i have a roo so when i switch my hens over to the layer food can my roo eat the same thing or something differetn i know this is a stupid question but i want to make sure i feed the correctly

2. sjh

sjh Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    Yes they can. Please do a search. Lots of good info here. This topic comes up once a week.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    It is not a stupid question. It shows you are actually thinking.

The rooster can eat the same feed as the laying hens. His grown body can handle the extra calcium a lot better than a growing chick. The hens wind up eating quite a bit more feed than the rooster when they are laying eggs since they need to replace 2 to 3% of their body weight every time they lay an egg. So while he is getting the same percent calcium, he is actually eating less total calcium than the hens. Besides, there is no practical way to feed him separately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: