questions about food and oyester shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AmyLittle, Mar 30, 2015.

1. AmyLittle

AmyLittle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Ohio
    Do you leave oyester shells in for you chickens all the time or just once in awhile?

I currently feed my adult chickens cracked corn but want to start feeding them something else also. What kind of feed do you recommend?

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I give it to them once in awhile. I give them the type at my Tractor Supply (I think it's called Dumor)

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you feed them any thing besides cracked corn?

4. WildfireSmitty

WildfireSmitty Chillin' With My Peeps

I give mine double duty Oyster shells. (#2 grits with shells) They are available all the time free choice (during winter)
    During the warm months, they are given just shells free choice all the time, and grits also still offered sometimes in separate feeder.
    Was wondering the same thing.
    Just cracked corn isn't sufficient enough for a proper diet.

Is this for layers only?

5. AmyLittle

AmyLittle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Ohio
    The also get some table scraps. Growing up cracked corn is what we always feed the chickens. These are the first I've had on my own. I have 8 hens and 4 roos. They are bantam mixed breeds. I want to start feeding them something better but not sure what. I also have 12 pullets but they are on chick starter.

6. WildfireSmitty

WildfireSmitty Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can get some whole grains, try fermented feed, it's the easiest way to go. Or you can get it milled into a specific ratio.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You can also ferment pelleted feed and mash or crumble type feeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by