1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

questions about "forcing" winter egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kit1470, Sep 1, 2009.

1. kit1470

kit1470 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm trying to decide if I want to go the route of artificial light for winter or just let my chickens do what chickens do

If I don't use artificial light will they stop laying eggs all together in the colder months or will it just slow way down.

If I do use artificial light will they continue to produce the 5-6 eggs we are getting every day or does it slow down?

does using or not using artificial light affect how many years they will lay in general?

[​IMG]

any help will be greatly appreciated

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

they will definitely slow or stop laying during the winter. even with artificial light chickens will slow down egg production because of the temp but still not as bad as without light. It will burn them out a bit faster but if you give them breaks and feed them well they still last a while.

3. kit1470

kit1470 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:thank you for taking the time to answer my question
    [​IMG]

I think I might just save the electric bill and let them do what they want for the winter

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:thank you for taking the time to answer my question
    [​IMG]

I think I might just save the electric bill and let them do what they want for the winter

That's what I do. Works well for us. [​IMG]

5. I'M On Island Time

I'M On Island Time Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Chain O'Lakes IL
    I'm not sure where you are at, but a heat lamp is a requirement for the health of my chickens. I have a thermostat where the lamp turns on when them temp in teh coop gets below 35F and turns off at 45F. I have older hens, a roo that already had frostbite, hens had frostbite on toes, and their water will freeze solid. While this may seem to be quite warm for a lot of folks, it has worked well for the past 4 years for everyone.

My older hens also are still laying, so don't think they will completely "burn out" from laying. It might take a while!

Plus, it is great to get those eggs in the winter. Their down time is the fall and spring when the light is short and the weather is mild enough to not need a heat lamp on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by