Questions about genders and breeds!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ebear82, Jan 1, 2010.

1. ebear82

ebear82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2009
    Let me start off by saying that I have no clue if I"m uploading my pictures correctly into this message. So, if nothing shows up, I'll try again...but I'll need help!

First off I'll put up pics of my 3 "babies". They're around 4-5 months old. The first 2 are polish crosses, and the third is a banty cross. I'm wondering if they're all roosters?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up we have a couple of definite roosters and 1 hen, just want to check on breeds. I think the hen is a mille fleur (sp?), but I just want to double check.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm curious to see what you all think!!

Erin

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Can't help on the others, I'm afraid, but your last picture is certainly a mille fleur d'uccle hen! [​IMG] Good luck on identifying the others!

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    first 3 all boys

barnevelder (?), cochin and d'uccle roos...

4. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    Yea, the first three all look like boys.

Not a clue as to the breed of the first for sure rooster if he is indeed purebred.

The second is a cochin who resembles a mille project bird.

And the mille fleur looks like a booted bantam pullet/hen-no beard/muffs, unless they are very small.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. ebear82

ebear82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2009
    Quote:I have no idea if that first rooster is purebred...I got him from my neighbor when he was a baby. What's a mille project bird? I got him out of the assorted bantam trough at the local feed store...they are supposed to be purebred, but could be any breed.

Thanks for the help so far!

6. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    Quote:I have no idea if that first rooster is purebred...I got him from my neighbor when he was a baby. What's a mille project bird? I got him out of the assorted bantam trough at the local feed store...they are supposed to be purebred, but could be any breed.

Thanks for the help so far!

He's probably not then, but mutts are usually pretty awesome birds all the same [​IMG]

Well, a large group of people are working on a variety of cochin bantams to look like your mille fleur bantie. A project bird is a cross variety (not to be confused with crossbred) bird that shows the prospects of the color(s) the breeders are working towards. Namely in the case of mille fleur cochins, the crosses are between buff columbians and black mottled cochins, the f1 generations threw out all different colors and patterns, some of which look like your boy. Of course, later generations do so as well, but if he came from a hatchery then it's anyone's guess-he's still a pretty bird though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by