Questions about grass clippings!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychicks9, May 14, 2008.

1. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have been told by the lady I got our chicks from that it was just fine to give them our grass clippings in the run when DH cuts the lawn. We do not put any chemicals or insecticides on it, so I know it is safe. Last night he went and cut some grass/weeds out in the back and it was kinda long but cut pretty well and not clumpy, for them. We had a great time watching them scratch and dig for bugs in it and fight over clover with each other. Well I put them to bed and came in here and started reading a post from someone that said do not put clippings in the run as they can get an impacted crop from eating the grass. So needless to say out in the rain I go this A.M. and rake it all out. Lord knows I do not want to make them sick, so all you wise chickie mom and dads, is it safe to put in grass clippings or should I not? Is hay safe to put down in the run for them or is that a no no too? The run is all hard clay and when it rains it does tend to get muddy, so what can I do? It did rain here last night very hard and when I went out to rake out the grass, the dirt/clay was all nice and dry under the clippings though. Please help--- give me some ideas or some of your infinate wisdom on this. Thanks very much. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Not quite sure, but I have heard that is a terrible idea. I know you can't do it for goats and horses, so probably not chickens. It does something to it that isn't good. If you want to give them grass, just pull some out. And make sure thay have grit and don't give them reall long pieces.
    Ashlyn

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Ive feed my chickens grass clippings all the time never had a problem. But it is short grass.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm curious to know about grass clippings, too. I did it last fall several times, and have done it 3 times so far this year, but will stop if I shouldn't be doing that!

Hay tends to impact in their crops, some say. I give mine 2nd cutting grass hay in the winter, but only the "fumes" as I call it - the smaller pieces that fall to the floor of my barn. The hay I give is much like the grass in your yard; very soft and thin. I have not had problems, but again, I do it sparingly.

I'll be curious to see what others have to say on this.

5. BeckyBuz

BeckyBuz New Egg

May 13, 2008
    Interested too... I've been giving my young chickens some grass too. I rip up the tall grass around my rock garden and give it to them. They really seem to like it. I never questioned whether it was good or bad because they have cleared the grass in their run.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I wonder if it's because it's sooo easy to eat when they don't have to pull it out of the ground themselves that they gorge on it???

7. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    My hens are over a year old now, and I've always given them my grass clippings and I put hay in the run for them to scratch around in - I've never had a problem.

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I give mine some. I make sure they have grit as well and then throw a big handful at them morning and night. I bet those who free range their chickens see them eating grass. I think the fresh grass isn't as bad for impacted crop because it isn't dried down. Just my opinion.

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    That could very well be, Guitarists! I know my girls run to the door when I come to the run; I thought it was because they love me, but I think it's more likely that the long grass just outside the door falls to the inside, and they rip it all out lickity-split! They sure love grass!

My run is quite large for my small number, and there is not a stitch of grass left in it. Plus, it's hard to grow grass since it's mostly clay.

This summer, we are adding another run to the back, which I'm hoping to use as a rotation area so I can sew some seed in the current run. We'll see if that works!

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The trick maybe volume feed to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by