questions about guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by wanttobefarmer, Jun 19, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I am considering getting a couple of guinea hatchlings from the feed store. Maybe a couple of chicks to raise with them. I already have 14 chickens and i live on 1 acre of land. I would keep my guineas seperate until they are about 8 weeks and can be introduced to the flock of chickens that i already have. Can i raise my guineas with the chicks the same way? I live in texas and our days are about 94- 95 degrees. How long do i need to keep them under the heat lamp? can i reduce it 5 degrees weekly with the chicks? Also and this is important, How loud are guineas? I don't keep any roosters so that i don't annoy neighbors and i'd like to continue not to. Thanks. I read the information thread on guineas and it was very helpful but it didn't really cover these questions

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
  3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Did you say "Are guineas loud"? What? I can't hear you over the guineas. [​IMG] They are very loud & will more than likely go over the fence to visit the neighbors. I got rid of mine because they were mean to my roosters.

4. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    yes and no. it's a good thread but nothing about how loud 2 guineas are.
    Quote:

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I just purchased 4 of them that are about 4-6 weeks old and I don't hear them yet. I still have them in a medium dog crate with two Gold Laced Polish that I'm intorducing into the flock as well. Mine are chocolate crosses [​IMG] So far they are all getting along good together. Good luck to you.

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:X2 guinea fowl will wonder, guinea fowl are loud, guinea fowl get eaten, guinea fowl can fly to the top of a forty foot tree but will be flumaxed by a 2 foot fence, ecspecially if that fence belongs to the neighbor and you need to get it back home, guinea fowl are loud, did I mention they make a fair amount of noise?

Mine guineas in the first year lived well with my chickens mature breeding cocks seem to get aggressive, at least mine did. Oh was I clear they are loud. They are loud when they just worry around the property, they are deafening when they get upset. What upsets them? Everything!!

I like my guineas

7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:X2 guinea fowl will wonder, guinea fowl are loud, guinea fowl get eaten, guinea fowl can fly to the top of a forty foot tree but will be flumaxed by a 2 foot fence, ecspecially if that fence belongs to the neighbor and you need to get it back home, guinea fowl are loud, did I mention they make a fair amount of noise?

Mine guineas in the first year lived well with my chickens mature breeding cocks seem to get aggressive, at least mine did. Oh was I clear they are loud. They are loud when they just worry around the property, they are deafening when they get upset. What upsets them? Everything!!

I like my guineas

That about covers it. And its not an exaggeration.

If I ever had to choose between chickens and Guineas I would keep the Guineas even with all that greathorse said about them.

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:I have raised a number of hatches with my chicks worked out fine. I had no issues with brooding them at different temps

9. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    you also forgot to mention guineas luv to run around on the roof of your house and play in the road. [​IMG]

10. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't guineas wander over something like 5 acres (or more) if they free range? (thinking about your neighbors)

I asked the same question a few weeks back about keeping guineas and chickens as adults together. I got both pro and con repsonses, but the con responses (adult guineas are capable of ganging up on a chicken and being quite mean) convinced me to keep them seperated from one another.

Regarding the temp, I also did the 95 degrees to start, and then reduced it by 5 degrees each week and the keets seemed very comfortable. I don't guess you need a light if the temp in the brooder is so high (though I'd keep a thermometer and a light handy in case something changes and for night time)

I hope this helps -- people have been so great sharing what they know here I feel compelled to do the same!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by