Questions about hardware cloth and top of chicken run

Adventurefamily5

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Hi! We are building our first coop and making a run for the girls. We plan to use 1 in square hardware cloth, the really good stuff. It is only 30 inches high, so we figure that's how high the run will be. But... our coop is 4 feet wide so when we make the roof of the run, we'll be short. I really didn't want to use a bunch of rolls and have to splice them together, both for aesthetics and cost. What should I use? We have hawks and probably will get raccoons as well. Any suggestions on 48 inch wide material? I saw 2x4 hardware cloth, but is it too wide for the top? Thanks for your advice.
big_smile.png

Do you have photos to share so we can comment? Are you in a snow zone? I'm wondering if it would be that much more expensive to roof your run, possibly with vinyl or polycarbonate sheets...there's a link to my runs below.

You must use hardware cloth with 1/2" gauge to keep predators and rodents from reaching through or entering your run...
cool.png

Last edited:
Whatever you do, be sure that the run is completely secure - that includes burying the hardware cloth at least 12 inches in the ground around the perimeter of the run. We have a lot of racoons and they are determined little buggers. Our run is attached to the coop and we make sure the girs are locked in the coop overnight. We also secure the run door with ocking safety hasps at the top and bottom of the door.

The chicken expert who teaches classes here in Raleigh showed me his coops and he said to lay down a strip of hardware cloth all the way around the coop and pin it down so that they can't dig under. We don't have pics yet; we're building the coop this week and then working the run after that. Our plan is to build frames of hardware cloth with hinged sides so we can raise them up to clean. We'll put locks on the sides. Is it true that coons can open latches?

I was just wondering what to do with the 4 foot space in the top of the run. We have heavy gauge 1/2 x 1 inch cloth for the sides, but it only comes in 30 inches and not 48 inches. The other larger cloth comes in 48.

I used the 2x4 fencing wire and wired it together with a heavy gauge wire. Painstaking but effective. Allowed for 4 inches of overlap for extra security from prying coon hands. It doesn't take much to keep out a hawk, since they need to be able to fly in and out without hindrance. It's the coons that can climb to the top, so I made sure all my connecting points were secure, used a heavy duty staple to hold it to the wood, pounded with a hammer, 4 inches apart at the most.

On the sides I used rabbit wire, so that coons can't get their hands in. Buried the 1x10 base boards, and set pretty creek rock around the perimeter to keep things from digging in. If they dig, the rock falls into the whole. Tried and tested by my digging prone dogs.

I built my run in mind with the fencing heights. Two rolls of rabbit wire, tallest they sell, meeting at the center running support wood. The roof fencing was slightly taller, allowing for overlap.

Buy a good pair of tin snips! Makes fast work of cutting fencing.

Oh the tin snips are an awesome idea! Can the coon get through 1/2 x 1 inch wire? I really like the hoop run, but we are limited to the 30 inch height being discreet in the backyard in our subdivision.

Their grubby little hands can get through the 1/2 by 1, but I don't think they can pull it apart, only grab whatever is within reach. Like if your feed is up against it, they could pull some out. Or a bird. Should be fine for run fencing if the birds have a wood house. You just want to make sure whatever you buy is welded, the chicken wire isn't welded and can be pulled into larger openings.

Back
Top Bottom