Questions about Hatch Failures

chickmanna

Songster
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
Just finished checking the eggs that didn't hatch. Out of the 21 that didn't hatch four were eggs I didn't like the looks of when I candled but I had the room so put them in anyway. They were indeed duds. Of the next 17 that didn't hatch, there were 3 BCM and one olive EE that had never developed. I was never able to adequately candle these eggs, so was not shocked by this either.

BUT HERE'S THE PART THAT'S GOT ME BAFFLED - THERE WERE 13 FULLY DEVELOPED CHICKS THAT NEVER HATCHED - 6 OF THEM HAD COMPLETED THE INTERNAL PIP, 7 HAD NOT.

I've read that a chick can't "drown" if it has not completed the internal pip, and thus never breathed air. And the 6 that had pipped internally did not seem to contain liquid in the air sac end of the egg. The chicks themselves did not seem bloated or waterlogged. Some appeared to have completely absorbed the yolk, some had not.

These eggs were incubated in two Hovabator Genesis 1588s, using automatic turners, and then placed in paper egg cartons for hatching.

This was my first time incubating, and I'm encouraged that my candling skills seemed pretty accurate. We did get 30 little fuzzy butts who all seem to be thriving, but such a high percentage of full term quitters is puzzling. Thanks in advance for any information.

Annie

bacteria can kill off late day chicks.

When I worked for a commercial hatchery we would scrub out the hatchers.. even though they LOOKED clean and we had spent hours cleaning them there were many times when the swab tests would come back showing there was still a lot of bacteria present (usually in cracks, seams as well as around the fans and light fixtures). So even if you "cleaned" the incubator recently there is still a chance you missed a lot of bacteria which continues to grow.
Paper egg cartons can also hold lots of bacteria.. maybe use styro ones next time?

Oxine can be put in a spray bottle and can be sprayed directly on the eggs as well as in the incubator

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Yinepu. Both incubators were brand new, not that they couldn't have had bacteria, but not from any previous hatches.

I did do an Oxine wash before I set the eggs, and sprayed a few times, but have to admit I got lazy about the Oxine spray in the last week or so. And I did have a couple of stinkers that were too dark to candle, so didn't get them out until they were obviously BAD. You are probably right about the bacteria - I will be more diligent next time.

I like your styrofoam egg carton idea, too. I have eggs going into lockdown tomorrow AM, and only paper cartons to use but they are brand new from the feed store and I did spray them with the Oxine spray. Here's hoping for better results this time. Annie

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.. but I have to agree.. the paper cartons and the bad eggs were what probably put that bad bacteria onto your good eggs.

There used to be a link for diagnosing hatch failures.. I'll see if I can find it

how was the weather during your hatch .... Ive lost a few hatches to thunderstorms most people think that because their incubator is in their grounded house its safe but that's not always the case as humid air conducts electricity and even if you don't see it, it can still get in your incubator and kill your hatch. tho most storms don't produce that strong of lightening

Back
Top Bottom