Questions about hatching Call ducks

WallabyOfChaos

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Texas Panhandle
My Coop
My Coop
I posted this over in the incubating/hatching forum, not realizing there was a forum for ducks. So I'm trying again here and hoping some experienced duck people can help me out. Thanks for reading. :)

Hello all. I was hoping to set some call duck eggs some time soon, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there about how to do it. We have had great success hatching chickens and guineas, but they say that calls are difficult to hatch. I was hoping someone who has been successful can offer some advice on what they feel is the best way to hatch calls. Do they incubate the same amount of time as other ducks? Where should the humidity be for incubation and hatching? Mist the eggs or not? Auto-turner or turn by hand, if by hand how often?
Any help is greatly, greatly, greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm thinking of getting a new incubator. I'm looking at the Brower Top Hatch or the Marsh TX-6. Any thoughts or opinions on those, or any other incubators I should look in to?
Thanks again.

You can try posting in "Thread formerly known as Hatch Day" We have a few people with calls there who have incubated. They can point you in the right direction.

No experience with Calls, so I didn't answer.

According to my friend with Calls, the difficulty is at the point where they actually hatch because the baby doll bills aren't good at cracking egg shells. So hatching is sometimes (often) assisted.

Everyone I know with show ducks incubates the eggs on their sides and hand turns. I can't compare that to an auto turner, since I have never used that method.

Back
Top Bottom