questions about helping with a hatch...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LaGeniaLoca, Feb 24, 2012.

1. LaGeniaLoca

LaGeniaLoca Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    This is my first time hatching ducks. I have 6 ancona eggs at 26 days. They've been rocking for 24 hours, give or take. How much time should I give them before trying to help? I'm noticing on a few of them that they are getting "darker" spots where the air cell is. Is that where they are scraping on the inside of the shell and it's getting thinner?

2. LaGeniaLoca

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Seriously? Nobody? I'm going through the Thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day is Today, but there's over a thousand pages!!! Does anybody have any words of wisdom for me?? Please??

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    What kind of incubator
    What was your temp during incubation?
    What was your humidity during incubation?
    What is your current temp?
    What is your current humidity?

Have you been hand turning or in a turner?
    Are the eggs laying down or standing up now?

4. DaffyDuck98

DaffyDuck98 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    Hi,

I have hatched a batch of eggs. This is completly normal. Leave them go for another 24 hours. Your doing good. hang in there hun!

Daffy

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The shadows you see in the air cell is the chick's beak moving about. It has most likely internally pipped which means the chick has pipped through the inner membrane and when the oxygen level gets low, strong muscle contractions help the chick to pip through the shell. Your duck is almost ready to pip. The time it takes varies greatly, from internal to external pip but I would expect a pip by morning. Be ready to proceed with lockdown and bump the humidity up. You're very close.....

6. LaGeniaLoca

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA

7. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Do you have a steth? You can place it on bator window. If they have internally pipped, you will hear a clicking sound that is not loud enough to hear otherwise.

Dark spots... on the outside of shell like staining... or a weird shadowing darkness that you are seeing through the egg?

FYI, my eggs start rocking about 7 days before hatching as they are turning into hatching position. Then, for internal (and external) it is more of a distinct vibration held for a long pause, followed by a sharp rocking motion. It takes my eggs an average of 24-30 hours between internal and external pipping. Then another 24 hours or so to hatch.

8. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Sounds like you've got everything set where it needs to be. Duckies can take a long time. Not like quick little zipping chickens. Keep us posted!

9. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    They usually do not even start hatching until day 28. When it is day 31, and they still are not finished hatching, then I would say you could help them.

10. LaGeniaLoca

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    They have all been internally pipped for 2 days, but only one of them is rocking this morning. They are on day 27 now. I read that a lot of people keep the humidity as high as 80, so I bumped it up. It's a steady 75 now. Is that good or bad? Still no pips...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by