Questions about housing geese and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Felicia, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Felicia

Felicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Okay, so I am trying to get some geese eggs to be hatching, and I will be buying some ducklings, but before I get them I need to get their housing/yard set up.

I will need to fence them in, because I have a big coyote problem (some coyotes in my area have actually started to approach people in broad daylight, and one actually attacked a small child in a city near me). And my parents also having a dog boarding kennel in our backyard , so I can not have them greeting our customers [​IMG]. I will let them out of their pen/yard area everyday (for as many hours as possible), so they will not be stuck in a pen/yard all day. I am getting 5 ducks. I don't know how many geese I will be getting, since I am hatching them. But I will probably be trying to hatch between 5-8 of them. I am going to have the ducks and geese together.

What I need help on, is that I have no idea how much area each duck/goose needs, what type of nesting boxes to give them, and what kind of shelter to give them. I thinking about giving them some large dog houses (my dad and I would build them, so I can make them as big as they need to be). Would that work? How large should the houses be? Do the ducks and the geese need different types of nesting boxes? How much yard does each duck/goose need?

If you have pictures of what you use, please post them [​IMG]. Any information is greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

Thank you!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    My duck coop is like a large dog house. It's about 4 feet all and fully insulated so that I could brood the ducklings outside instead of having them stink up the house.

The guidelines for coop space are 4 square feet per duck inside the coop. Geese probably need a bit more. As for how big their run needs to be, it's 10 or more square feet per bird.

You really don't have to bother with nesting boxes. My ducks use the nesting box every so often, but they lay in a different spot everyday.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  3. Felicia

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Thank you for all the helpful info! [​IMG]

Would it be good enough if I gave each duck 10 square feet, and each goose 20 square feet for their run? I need enough area so that they won't kill all the grass it won't become to stinky.

How do you find the eggs? Do you just have to go searching around their run?

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It sounds like you have a good plan. The more space you can give them the better off they'll be.

I've been lucky so far, my ducks lay their eggs early in the morning in their coop. I have a nesting box in there, but they rarely use it. When my other ducks start laying, they'll probably make their own little nests outside, and then I'll have to find the eggs every day.

5. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    keep in mind ,too, many times they don't use a house. they just stay out in the rain, snow, wind, whatever. It doesn't bother them.
    Outdoor space is most important. And keep in mind they will be very messy. keeping your water in an area that can be cleaned is good. they will muddy it up as well as poop in their water and food.

6. Felicia

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Okay, thanks for the great info [​IMG]

How many geese would a 150ft by 20 ft yard hold? Would it be a good idea to put wood on the ground around where I put there food/water so that the ground doesn't get muddy? I am probably going to invest in a automatic waterer (so that I can be sure they don't run out of water between the morning feeding and night feeding). And I will also have a pool out there for them.

7. Felicia

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Oops...I accidentally hit it twice...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I'd offer them a dog house just big enough for them to pile in case it's too cold or windy. The size of the run is most important since they will spend most of their time there. !0 sqft per duck and 20sqft per good should work fine.

I also want to warn you of those coyotes. they can dig under the fence to get to your ducks, anf if they dig in it'll be a shmorgeshboarg for them. I know some poeple put up a little electricfied wire around the outside of the fence to deter them from digging. I'll find the user who did and post their name here in a minute!

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
  10. Felicia

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks Nettie!

I read it, and it was very helpful. I will be sure to put some electric fencing up. I am making some pasture for my goats and sheep near were the geese/duck pen is going to be, so it shouldn't be to hard to just keep it going to the geese/duck pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by