1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about Incubating duck and chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by danajo84, Apr 6, 2016.

1. danajo84

danajo84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Springtown Texas
    What is the recommended humidity for incubating ducks and chickens? Separate incubators.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I incubated both duck and chicken eggs successfully at 99F (forced air incubator - 101F for still air, measured on top of the eggs) and 45% humidity, upping that to 65%+ after lockdown.

3. danajo84

danajo84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Springtown Texas

Mine is forced air and it's been fluctuating between 45-60 most times but this morning I woke up and it was at 65 and I'm worried that might have hurt them??? I can't be there all day to keep an eye on them so it worries me. Iv heard humidity can fluctuate and do less harm then high or low temperatures. Is that true?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Humidity can fluctuate a bit without causing much harm. I've had quite a range of spikes and lows when incubating with no harm done, but it's best if you can try and keep it in the "safe" range as much as possible. Too high temperature can harm the embryos and too low can delay the embryo development, but it depends on the duration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by