Questions about incubating peafowl eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TGarcia, Aug 8, 2010.

1. TGarcia

TGarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Texas
    I have hatched chicken eggs, and had pretty good success doing that. But not to sure about peafowl eggs and need a little advice. I will be receiving these eggs tomorrow. I already have my incubator set up and ready for them...but here's the info on the eggs I will be getting.

I have a friend that has been offered some peafowl eggs, he is going to give me half of them if I will do the hatching for us. He's not sure exactly how long the eggs have been layed....so this has me concerned since I won't have an exact date of how old the eggs are. The people that have the peafowl are giving the eggs away because they do not anymore peafowl, due to not having enough room. So...as you can see it's gonna be a guessing game on incubation time and all, and hopefully with a little luck we will have a few hatch. [​IMG]

Most of what I've read on here is pretty much the same as hatching chicken eggs, other than it taking a little longer. What I need to know is are the humidity levels the same as well. I didn't really see to much on that. I know the temp. should be about 99-100 degrees, and to stop turning eggs at day 25. and they SHOULD hatch by day 28.

Like I said due to circumstances with not knowing just how old the eggs are and all......this may not work. But I am willing to give it a shot and would appreciate any advice. I'd love to have some pretty peacocks to add to my flock. [​IMG]

2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    from what i have read, temp 99.5 humidity 50 to 60 percent first 25 days, then 80 percent for lockdown. i google hatching peafowl eggs, lots of info. oh, if any way possible find out how old the eggs are. i had one explode last year three days into incubation. thats a smell you will never forget. i do know they are very hard to hatch also.

3. TGarcia

TGarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Texas
    I have heard they are hard to hatch. I told my friend to try and find out from the people he is getting them from how old they are. I am also planning on candle them as soon as I get them just to see if anything is going on inside. That may give me some sort of idea if he is unable to determine actual age. Hopefully I won't have one explode on me. .[​IMG] I can only imagine that mess and smell. UGH!! LOL

Thanks for the info.....I'm gonna read up aot more tonight and see what all I can find out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by