1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about incubating.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by minifarmkat, Mar 2, 2014.

1. minifarmkat

minifarmkat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hello everyone! I had a few questions about incubating goose eggs. We are trying a few different methods this year (a broody hen as well as wet and dry incubation to see which approach we prefer). Anyway, I was wondering if I could clean the shells up a bit so that I could candle them easier? Also I was wondering if anyone had pictures of what a "good" fertile egg looks like (and even a "bad" egg picture would help lol). We want to make sure are eggs are fertile. It's the first year ours have laid.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

You won't be able to tell if they are fertile until after you have incubated them for at least 3 days.

But it also greatly depends on how good your candler is etc. i usually don't "peek" until the seventh day.

Also, as to washing, it as always my understanding that you do not want to wash eggs that you will incubate.

3. minifarmkat

Mar 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    Alright we started incubating them around the 20th or the 21st. How should they look by that point?

4. minifarmkat

Mar 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    You can see the air bubble on the bottom and then half of the egg is dark while the other is light.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

6. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    You can wash eggs. Make sure it is hotter than the egg as it draws out if warmer and sucks in if water is cooler, Under running water . some use diluted bleach , others oxine or I found Peroxidide can be used. Or you can sand the dirt off. I clean if they are nasty , but try to get eggs clean by providing enough straw.....You should lay them on sides or slightly elevate large end. I had a goose hatch from small end, so not impossible. Turn 3 times a day if possible. After a week, start misting and take eggs out for 5 min. a day to cool or take top off if in a small incubator with heat element in top. gradually addin time up to 15 min. untill lockdown, last 3-4 days, when you stop turning and misting and cooling. "Storeys guide to Geese" book , has it all spelled out in detail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by