Questions about introducing a hen to our flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MadChickensVT, Sep 18, 2011.

1. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    We have 15 hens and a rooster that we got as chicks this past spring. The breeds are listed in my sig. They get along well.

Some friends of ours had 4 hens but recently lost all but one to a fox. She's either a Barred Rock or Auracana and is 3 or 4 years old. They're worried that she's lonely and will also have a hard time making it through the winter on her own. This morning they asked if we would be interested in adopting her.

Since we know she's healthy can we skip the 30 day quarantine?

Would she be better off finding a home with less other birds?

Right now our birds are in a pen in the garage and free-range during the day. Our friends free-ranged their birds as well. I've started building a coop but it likely won't be done for a couple weeks. So until then we don't have a good way of separating the new bird from our existing flock. I just don't have time to build anything else. Our friends might be able to temporarily move a small coop here, but we're not sure.

Thanks for any comments [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think the size of your flock would be fine for the surviving hen. Since she is the sole surviving chicken, it is like she is in quarantine right now, but others may have varying opinions on that. If you have the room in you garage you could just set her up in a dog kennel temporarily or something like that. Perhaps you friends will ehlp you finish you coop [​IMG]

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    What did you end up doing and how did it go?
    JJ

4. MadChickensVT

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    The hen went to someone who had recently lost a few of their birds and needed to keep their flock up [​IMG]

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ahhh.......thanks for the update. Hope it worked out for her.
    JJ

6. MadChickensVT

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    We ended up getting the chicken. Her name is Gloria and she's a 2 1/2 year old Barred Rock. We put her in the garage with the other chickens by flashlight with the lights off. The rooster quickly came over and "introduced himself" [​IMG] She' did well today, her first day with our flock. Here's my wife's blog entry about it http://www.maddenvermont.com/blog/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by