Questions about Keeping Our Randy Rapist Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bluemusefarm, Jan 10, 2013.

1. bluemusefarm

bluemusefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    We have a BEAUTIFUL Americauna rooster. He's a nice guy, too -- pretty calm, reasonably friendly...you know: the kind of guy you'd be proud to bring home to mom.

But we don't want (noticeably) fertilized eggs, and this boy really likes to love the ladies. We sell eggs, and don't want to worry that there will be blood spots or (God forbid) embryos inside to scare our customers.

But we also really love our little rapist rooster.

Question: assuming our eggs are fertilized (because Roo hops on each lady multiple times each day), are they okay for selling? Will they contain blood spots? (We've never seen any blood when we use the eggs ourselves, and we never see them when we candle, but sometimes I think it's hard to know for sure). How do I know? Do the hens need to sit on the eggs in order to incubate them (particularly in the cold MN winters)? How does incubation change in the heat of summer? (ie., if we keep rooster, will our summer eggs be more prone to blood spots?)

We gather eggs daily. Even if they're gathered immediately after they're laid, is it possible to determine whether they're fertilized?

I feel like i'm asking a million different questions in a million unorganized ways -- sorry! Basically, just looking for good info on how to keep a rooster without worrying about issues in egg sales...

Can you help please?

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Most people can't tell the difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs. If you gather the eggs everyday there is absolutely no risk of finding an embryo. As for blood spots I don't know...but it seems like since that is something that has to do with the hen they also happen in unfertilized eggs...I don't see how your rooster could possibly hurt your egg sales....

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, first of all, blood spots are not a result of fertilization. Blood or meat spots in eggs are caused by glitches in the reproductive tract. Commercial suppliers candle all eggs to assure that no eggs with blood or blood spots reach the general public - they are however used in bake goods so we are still eating them. [​IMG] There is very little difference between fertile and non fertile eggs. Do a forum search on identifying fertile eggs to see a graphic on the minimal differences. Fertile eggs will not start developing until they are brooded by a hen or incubator. If you collect all eggs daily, there will be no development.

4. bluemusefarm

bluemusefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    Thanks for your help. I suspected that I was wrong about the blood spots, but it's nice to know for sure now. I googled other images and found old forums here (that I couldn't find before posting this, of course!), and I'm perfectly comfortable now. Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by