Questions about laying eggs and adding chickens

Laffindog

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
Hello all,

My little banty cochin started laying eggs a little less than a month ago. She laid an egg daily (she skipped a day here and there twice) but has stopped laying them altogether now. This has been going on for about four days. Is this because winter is coming on and the days are getting shorter? They all used to go inside like clock-work, at 8:30pm, then it was 7:30pm and I caught them going in at 6:30 the other day, although that hasn't become consistent. They will stay out later, but not by much. Is she done for the winter? Also, I have two other tiny banties that have never laid an egg at all. Do some chickens just not lay eggs their whole lives? I wouldn't mind if they didn't, I enjoy watching them so much.

My next question is about two new hens (or pullets) that a friend of mine gave me this past Sunday. They are much bigger (I think she said they are dark brahmas). They stick together and my original flock (of four) are a bit mean to them. Will this always be or will they gradually be accepted?

Thanks in advance!
L

About the ones getting picked on...they will probably work their way into the flock....just give them some time....as long as they are near the same size then they should be fine. You can try seperating one or two of your top hens from the flock for a few days then reintroduce them and that will kind of mix up the pecking order for a while. I have never had to do that but I have heard it recommended here before.

Good luck!
~Rebecca

Oh, that's a good idea! I could keep the three hens inside the coop and let the newbies roam with the rooster. Thanks!

Does anyone else have ideas about the non-egg laying?

Back
Top Bottom