1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about laying eggs and supplements?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by marilyn1, Feb 6, 2014.

1. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    I keep pet quail so not that many. I have a few pairs housed separate I only have raised 3 clutches. All parent raised. This last clutch is 3 weeks old. Mom started laying again. All is still good with this little family not chasing chicks yet. So all together still.
    I pull all eggs at this time so I don't get more babies. They are very cute and yummy.
    My other quail parents didn't start laying again till after chicks were well feathered and they started chasing babies around that's when i separated. Why is this hen laying so soon?
    I keep a cuttle bone in with them and they really pick at this a lot. I feed a 30% gamebird starter. They get veggies daily along with finch seed if no babies under 3 weeks are present.
    Millet spray for treats and an occasional cricket or meal worm. Do I need to give any additional supplements for the constant egg laying? Should I give them fake eggs to sit on so they won't lay as much. If it's ok I'll just keep collecting eggs. I just don't want to cause them any problems.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You have them on a very high protein diet. I like to offer up a bit less protein, somewhere between 24% and 26%. High protein makes lots of eggs. I have always felt that really high protein feeding ups the risk for egg bound hens. So if you feel she is laying to frequently, lower the protein and she will lay less. Going down to 28% or 26% will still keep the eggs coming, but will give her a chance to rest.

As long as they are on a good diet, no supplements are needed. But always keep them in cuttle bone so they can pass hard shelled eggs.

Good luck with your babies!

3. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Thanks, 2 male normal color 10 week went to a nice home with a man who has canary birds in a beautiful aviary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by