Questions about Leasing Pasture

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by aj1, Aug 15, 2010.

1. aj1

aj1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Somewhere In, TX
    I have someone that is wanting me to lease him my pasture to raise organic meat chickens and he is wanting to give me meat and a fee for using the pasture and for me feeding and watering his chickens. I'm not sure how many chickens he has yet, but I am trying to get and idea of how much to charge him for feeding his chickens. Also, how to write a contract for not being responsible for diseases or preditors that might harm or kill the chickens if anything was to happen. I only want to be responsible for feeding and watering the chickens only. He is bringing all supplies, cages, and feeders, etc..Does anyone have any experience with anything like this and how much to charge the person? Thanks!

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    How much pasture? Charge him enough for the pasture to at least cover the property taxes on it for that time frame. As far as labor goes, charge enough to make a fair wage, say $8 to $10 an hour.

I really don't see how he expects this to work. Pastured poultry is much more work than just watering and feeding. You've got to put your heart and soul into it to make it work. There is too much that can happen to just leave it up to an employee on some sort of set schedule.

3. Marshmallow Man

Marshmallow Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Seems like if you're going to do all the work on your land you should just buy the chickens. Maybe he has a source to sell them to. I would try to figure that out and see if you can raise your own chickens and sell to him. Sounds like he wants you to do all the work and take all the responsibility while he goes to the bank.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Is your pasture organic?

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Chickens are dirty and gross a lot of cleaning is involved. Including cleaning pen racking it out and up all the poop and emptying, cleaning, and changing waters. It will get old if you are not the one wanting to do this. I would have a cleaning contract and damage as well. So when they are done it is cleaned finally each time and during raising them.

I have boarded animals and owner hardly ever came and did anything with them and never cleaned up after them and they damaged my fencing. Something to be aware of. She better have a place to keep them this winter is all I have to say to her.

Good luck!

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    No way that i would do it...
    You'll be liable for his chickens because your feeding and watering them....

He couldnt pay me enough....

7. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    He's not really wanting to lease your pasture, he really wants to hire you to raise his birds for him, if we're looking at the big picture. Personally, I can't see how you'd protect yourself, not be tied down to never leaving (so you can check food/water daily or 2x day) and not have him trying to reduce payment for any killed or lost. Sounds like he's setting you up for a lot of work and I bet if you start trying to put stuff in there to protect yourself he'll decide he's not interested. Good luck.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If something happens to the chickens, & they're in your care, you're responsible, as far as the law goes. I wouldn't do it, but if you decide to, cover EVERYTHING in the contract, I mean EVERYTHING!

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:2X and I would not do it. Better to raise your own and have him buy them from you.

Even with the Food, Inc. those chicken farmers having a hard time of it as well and they were at the company's mercys! They wished they would not be under their contracts and the pay was good but in the long run, it was awful!

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Who is going to purchase & pick up the feed? Who is paying the water bill? Is he going to provide predator-proof housing? What about locking the birds up at night? So much to consider. I agree- you should find out how many birds, do a budget as if you were raising them yourself, and give him that price. Get it in writing!

Heck- I'd do it that way if someone offered it to me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by