Questions about Lola the broody hen.. :-)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by havi, Oct 7, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Lola is a buff orpington who is just over 6 1/2 months old. Now to my questions..

1) Will she just 'phase herself out' of it? Or should I break her out of it? ...I dont that I wont get any eggs from her.

2) I have 6 three week old chicks, after a while(wk or 2) can I slip them under her and she take over? Or are they too old?

3) Should I try and put food and water in the coop specially for her? I havent seen her more in three days.

4) Is she too young to go broody or raise chicks?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How long has she been setting.

As many know, whenever I get this question, I always answer the same. After a couple of weeks, buy a couple of day old chicks and put them under her.

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Sorry I can't answer your questions but I just wanted to say I have a broody in my coop, she doesn't have any eggs under her but I take her out once a day to the waterer and let her get a drink and then I let her find her own way back to her "nest of no eggs". She always makes it back, lol.

4. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:Three days now. Yesterday I checked in on her at different times and she hadnt moved once. When I got up this morning at 3 I went and peeked in on her and she was still sitting in the nest box. I already have 5 pullets(6 m.o.) and now have the 6 bantams. Hubby would kill me if I got any more.

Plus hes already onto my "I dont know where this kitty/puppy came from. [​IMG] Must have just shown up on the door step. Well since their here, might as well keep em." rotinue. [​IMG]

5. warriorchick

warriorchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Quote:So, I have a 8 month old gold sex link who seems to have gone broody. I think that I have waited too long now to put fertilized eggs under her- it's hard to find them around these parts!

My question is, would this work with 3-day old chicks? she has bee sitting for about 1.5 weeks now and does not peck when I take her unfertilized eggs out from under her, as I have been almost every day and she has not given up! Should I even try letting her raise eggs now or wait until the spring? I figured since it doesn't get all that cold around here, it should be okay... Any advice on anything would help!

as an aside- any leads on fertilized eggs around Austin, TX or day-old chicks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by