questions about mallards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pringle, Jan 23, 2010.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ok so I have 5 mallards and a pekin.1 of the mallards is a male,I heard that they will only mate with 1 female in the breeding season is this true?Also will the male mallard cross with the pekin?

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Considering that all domestic ducks except muscovies have mallard in their background... I don't believe they form tight bonds as a pair, but I could be wrong on that.

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Found this on a Cornell site...

Mallard pairs are generally monogamous, but paired males actively pursue forced extra-pair copulations. Copulation between members of a pair usually takes place in the water after a long bout of elaborate displays. Forced copulations are not preceded by displays, and several males may chase a single female and mate with her.

Sounds like they pair up but the males aren't necessarily faithful?

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    It may be true of wild Mallards, pringle, but not domestic Mallards. Domestic Mallards (captive Mallards, even if sold as "flying" Mallards) will breed with one drake to as many as 4-5 hens. Yes, they will also breed to a Pekin. Of course, it depends some on the individual bird, but I have had ducks of quite different sizes breed successfully.

5. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:That is great information, but it applies to Mallards in the wild, not those kept in captivity. They are definitely not monogamous when bred domestically, even the ones that hatcheries sell as wild flying Mallards. I really question how monogamous they are even in the wild. Male Mallards in the wild are known to mate with multiple other species even.

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Nope, thats not true. My mallard drake mated anything that moved.

7. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I have 3 mallard hens and 4 mallard drakes (yes, I need to get rid of 3 drakes) and they fight to breed a hen....

8. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Wow thx guys for all the info.Thats nice to know that my drake will breed with all of them,maybe even the pekin.One more question will the mallards go broody on a clutch of egg that they have layed?I would rather have them do that then artificial incubation much easier and better for the ducklings.

9. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    Mallards will go broody. The Mallards and bantam ducks, in my flock, go broody far more often than the larger breeds. Of your 4, I would imagine you will get at least one that does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by