Questions about mamma and baby chicks

Ericasl

Songster
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
The Dalles OR
First I hope I am posting this in the right place. I have my very first broody hen:yiipchick. She is a buff cochin I bought some buff orp eggs for her to hatch. I have been reading on here for hours and have not found all the answers I am looking for. So here it goes I have momma is a place by her self in the coop with a little fence around her so the other hens cannot kick her out of the nest, which there were doing. She has food and water vey close and she can get up and poo and has some leg room. Ok when she hatches the babies should I move her to a bigger area where her and her babies can roam a little? Also do you start the chicks on medicated feed, also won't mamma eat the medicated chick starter? How long do you feed medicated starter, and how long till you let them out with the rest of the flock. If anyone can tell me what they do when a momma hatches her babies I would love to hear how you do it. Or am I over thinking this, I know chickens have been hatching chicks for 100's of year.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Yes. She will take the babies out and teach them everything they need to know.

Quote:
I don't use medicated feed. Yes, the hen will eat the chick starter too. It is okay. She needs the extra protein.

Quote:
I use starter/grower until point of lay.

Quote:
When momma hen wants to.

Quote:
Let her raise them. Save yourself alot of work. She will teach them how to eat, roost, and be a chicken.

Quote:
Yes, you are. We humans tend to do that.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom