Questions about mating

Going Bhonkers

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
SW Florida
I know that mating season runs from February to ... June?
Will my gander attempt to mate with my goose outside of mating season? Do they only mate in water?
And how does it work: will my goose signal when she's ready, or does the gander just go after the goose at any opportunity? Is there some sort of mating dance involved? (in case there is, I just want to be able to recognize it instead of thinking its some sort of new puzzling behavior)

They will mate less often but they still mate through out the year. My Geese are actually in their pool mating right now
gig.gif

I've seen them mate in both water and on land. (Fertility is better in water though)

My Gander usually goes after her but I have seen her give him "signals" occasionally.

I've never witnessed a mating dance.

Celtic, that is hilarious! LOL Yesterday my Sebbies and Roman geese were playing in the pool and one of my ganders tryed to mount one of the girlies. These geese haven't ever layed before, they aren't quite full grown, so I was surprised...a little! ; ) ~ Aspen

So keep in mind that I'm new to waterfowl... I saw a video on the Duck forum where a drake was mounting another duck in the water. It almost looked like he was going to drown her
ep.gif
[assuming it was a female duck] but luckily their mating was over rather quickly. Do I need to worry that my gander might drown my goose?

If they are similar size and it's just one gander involved I wouldn't worry to much. It may look rough to us but Geese are pretty strong birds.

Back
Top Bottom