1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about Meyer Hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elephantbuddy, Feb 1, 2014.

1. elephantbuddy

elephantbuddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Hello! I have gotten chickens from Meyer Hatchery before and was very pleased. However I only got Golden Buffs which are sex linked. I want to get Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds this year, but was wondering what percentage error do they have when you order 100 females. ( How many are roosters ). I was also wondering if there was anyway to know if a Bantam is a female or make when 1 day old, and if you could request a male at Meyer. My last question is if you can request certain color of Easter Egger at Meyer, and if so what are the different colors?

Thank you!
    [​IMG]

2. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    We ordered 5 from Meyer last year (BR's and BO's)...all were female as requested. I *really* thought one of the BO's was going to be a roo since it was much bigger and feathered much much slower than the other two...but she's now largest and top hen.

3. elephantbuddy

Jun 30, 2012
    I have heard very good things about Meyer Hatchery . Do you like your BR I want one but don't really know a lot about there temperament.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I have BRs and they have fine temperaments. I actually rescued them (I keep getting accidental chickens this way) so they're not as friendly as the could be if I had raised them. I've ordered from Meyer before and they've been spot on with sexing except one time when they mis-sexed a JG cockerel and sold him to me as a pullet. They don't offer sexed bantams, but MyPetChicken, who dropships from Meyer and gets all their chicks there anyway, does, so you might look into them. I don't think you can request certain colors on chicks.

5. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Yep - we love both breeds we picked. The Orpingtons don't mind being held (the BR's do, but will let us pet them on their terms). One of our BR's is incredibly smart (for a chicken :) - when we open the back door she immediately goes inside, hangs a right, and starts pecking the top of the can of raisins we keep there (to get them back in the pen). She goes right for the raisins every time.

(and no, she didn't get any wine...)

[​IMG]

and this is our smaller BO who likes to hang out on my leg in the afternoons...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  6. elephantbuddy

Jun 30, 2012
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by