1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

questions about mixed breeds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cavendish Chickens, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Okay, I have a speckled sussex roo, and 2 leghorn hens (1 light brown, 1 white). If I let them hatch chicks....

1) Do people ever buy mixed breeds?
    2) Can mixed breed hens lay eggs?
    3) If mixed breed hens cannot lay eggs, can they at least mate with a rooster just for their jollies?
    4) What are the pros and cons of mixed breeds?

If I let them have chicks, I would only be interested in keeping females, not males (if they can lay eggs). And I am not one to send them off to butchers, hence the question will people buy them. If they can't lay eggs, I probably won't let them hatch their own, but maybe let them hatch other purebred eggs. Just questions I have. New to this, and would like to know as much as possible about chickens. Thanks!

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Mixed breeds make some of the coolest chickens, & the offspring will lay & hatch just fine. Hatch away! People will buy any chicken, some buy for looks, some for egg production, meat, or just plain pets.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Also most "pure" breeds of today are the result of past mixed breeds if you go back far enough in time.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:[​IMG] I was going to say that too, but thought it would bring up arguments, i.e. Jungle fowl

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] I was going to say that too, but thought it would bring up arguments, i.e. Jungle fowl

I did say most but many folks that study red jungle fowl suggest even wild populations have some domestic blood. My recently purchased "red jungle fowl" have a wee bit of some kind of game in them.

6. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Okay, cool. I just needed to know so I can plan accordingly when the time comes. I'm not planning to let any chicks hatch until spring/summer. Thanks!

7. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    1) Do people ever buy mixed breeds? All the time. Just depends on what the market is in your area.
    2) Can mixed breed hens lay eggs? All hens lay eggs. Mixed breed hens are just as good, and often better, at laying than any purebred hen. In fact sex links like Golden Comets and Black Stars etc who are some of the most excellent layers you can buy from a hatchery are mixed breed hens.
    3) If mixed breed hens cannot lay eggs, can they at least mate with a rooster just for their jollies? huh?
    4) What are the pros and cons of mixed breeds? Pros: some mixed breeds may be more hardy or better layers or better meat birds than either of the two parent breeds; they are often gorgeous Cons: there may not be much of a market for mixed breed chicks or chickens in your area depending on what people are looking for; most "barnyard mixes" aren't as predictable as purebreds as far as size, appearance, laying ability, etc; you can't show them

If I let them have chicks, I would only be interested in keeping females, not males (if they can lay eggs). And I am not one to send them off to butchers, hence the question will people buy them. If they can't lay eggs, I probably won't let them hatch their own, but maybe let them hatch other purebred eggs. Just questions I have. New to this, and would like to know as much as possible about chickens. Thanks!

Good luck. Leghorns are known for not being broody, so chances are pretty slim they'll even want to hatch out eggs at any point in their lifetime (although it does happen). A sussex/leghorn cross would probably be a very good egg layer, but the roosters probably wouldn't go for much (you'd probably even have to give them away) since most people buy roosters for meat and a sussex/leghorn cross would probably be on the scrawny side for a good meat bird.

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Keep in mind that all these different chicken breed are the same species, so that even mixed breed offspring will be fertile. It's not like breeding two similar species and making mules. Mixed breed chickens are just as good as purebreds, except they cannot be shown. They do often come out in interesting & unusual colors & patterns, and the hens are more likely to go broody.

Some people will readily buy mixed-breed chickens, but most folks seem more loyal to breeds they know. I wouldn't breed them hoping to be able to sell them all, especially the roosters. Do it for fun, to add to your flock, to have candidates for the soup pot.

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Another upside is that mixed breeds (aka mutts) of most species are generally healthier/tougher than purebreds. Purebreds have such limited breeding parents that they tend to pick up some bad genes in the process i.e. the hips of some dog breeds.

10. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Here's my two cents.... when I was talking to someone about my chickens, I got the "Oh you have a mixed breed. You'll never be able to show her!" My only thought was, while I don't show chickens on a circuit or anything like that, I show my chickens to all my friends and neighbors! Watching those silly birds bring me more joy than getting a ribbon for a chicken that has the most perfect representation of a thoroughbred. (Thoroughbred chicken- that sounds funny! [​IMG])

I am one of those people who love the mixed breed chickens (it will catch on- look at the "hybrid" dogs like labradoodles).... I will keep and be proud of my fine feathered ladies anyday![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by