Questions about Mixing Ages...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PoultryQueen29, Nov 27, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have an EE pullet, a barred rock pullet, and a polish/silkie mix pullet that are 8-10 weeks old and I want to buy a silkie pullet to put in with them. Could put a silkie that is a month or two older than them in with them or would they not get along? I know that silkies are much smaller and lay eggs later than standard breeds so I was thinking thatit would be good to get one that's older so they are the same size and will lay at about the same time. I'm new to chickens though so that's just my guess [​IMG]

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I think that they are all young enough to be put together without much trouble. Keep you eye on them for awhile, incase one of them takes a real beating which I do not think will happen. The order usually only takes a few days to a week to be established, then it's smooth sailing. Good luck!

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I agree the only way to know is to do it and watch them often for signs of injury. I added my EE hens at night in with my RSL hens. EE 20 weeks and RSL almost 2yo.Lol,to this day they still fight but not as bad as it used to be.

4. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok thanks [​IMG] I just picked up a 7 week old black silkie and I'm quarentining her for a few days. I think they will get along. They are about the same age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by