Questions about mixing different breeds...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newchickenista, Feb 23, 2012.

1. newchickenista

newchickenista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Southeastern, Oklahoma
    I am Brand Spankin' New to Chickens. I mean so knew, that I don't even have the chickens yet. I have my brooder ready to go and plan to pick up my chickens tomorrow from my local Orscheln store. From everything I've read on this website, it seems to me that everyone has a mixed flock, but sticking with the "ounce of prevention..." philosophy, I thought I'd better ask: when dealing with a mixed flock, are there any problems that can occur in cross breeding? My purpose for chickens is mostly for eggs, but I do intend to hatch some eggs in the future so I am getting at least one rooster. I plan to get mostly Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons, but depending on what new breeds Orscheln gets in tomorrow, I might throw in a brown leghorn or a NH Red. Is there anything I should know about cross breeding between these or any other breeds?

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    they will ok if all you want is eggs. most of them are good layers..

3. newchickenista

newchickenista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Southeastern, Oklahoma

But what if I want to hatch baby chicks in the future?

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Hatch out some babies then, unless you don't care for mixed breeds.
    If that is the case then order one breed only unless you have separate pens for other breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by