1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Robin'sBrood, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My adult chickens are a year old now and my two d'Uccle girls seem to have stopped laying eggs, both of them, at the same time. One was broody on Saturday. I caught her sitting on 4 eggs in the nest box. I took the eggs from her just before roost time (their nest box is outside of their coop) and the next day she acted normal again. But, I haven't gotten one single egg from her or her "sister" since that day. DH and I have looked everywhere in the run and we cannot find a hidden nest. So, what gives, are they about to molt? [​IMG]

2. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Wing feathers are sticking out and coming off one of these little girls, is that a sign of the beginning of molting? Still no eggs from either one of them.

3. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  4. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  5. okieroy

okieroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Bethany, Ok
    I am new as well. Have not seen a molt yet. Heres a bump though.

6. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
  7. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Yes i think there molting dont worry about it they will start again in abot 2 weeks to a month.

8. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    IDK either, but I'd like to know also.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Are you seeing feathers around the coop and in their run. Sometimes they will go through a mini molt and they can slow down considerably or stop laying for awhile. My birds went through several mini molts but didn't go through a major molt until they were over 1 1/2 yrs old. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by