Questions about moulting...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mystyk13, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Mystyk13

Mystyk13 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    Hi everyone! We are dealing with our first moulting....at least I believe that is what it is! She is losing feathers all over and she looks like a ball of fluff (on the bottom anyway) My hubby just seen her actually pulling some feathers out herslef...is that normal? Also, how long does it take for new feathers to grow back in? We are worried with winter coming she may freeze to death. If anyone can help that would be great! [​IMG]

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Breed and age would be helpful. Anything else going on, or is she just losing feathers?

3. Mystyk13

Mystyk13 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    Hi...the breed is black sexlink and her age is a little over a year. There is nothing else going on...still eating and moving around and everything.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

This is the time of year for moulting. She will be back to her old self before you know it. All chickens moult around this time of the year and some even have a second moult each year. Mine are all in various stages of undress as we speak! [​IMG]

She won't freeze to death before they regrow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by