Questions about Muscovy Laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ewhitney1987, Feb 10, 2017.

1. ewhitney1987

ewhitney1987 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    I have 3 Muscovy ducks 2 female 1 male I am new to ducks and only just got them in September. My youngest female born in June just finished laying her first clutch of eggs. I know she is done because she has covered it in Shavings and put her feathers down. My question is I live in California and for the Past week while she was laying we go constant rain and she laid the eggs in a barn on the property that is pretty far from the pond (our ducks free range all day and night) yesterday was the first day she sat almost 24 hours on the eggs. However today the rain has stopped an the sun is shinning and I got home from work and she is playing around in the pond with the others and as far as I can tell has no sense of urgency to get back to the nest. Now even though the sun is out its probably only around 55 degrees out. Will the eggs survive while she is out and about and is this normal behavior for a Muscovy?

2. ewhitney1987

Feb 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

The progression of her nest

3. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG] I'm not sure she's sitting yet. Usually you will see more feathers in the nest. I wouldn't worry at this point, she knows what she's doing[​IMG] I would put food and water closer to her nest so she doesn't have to go far. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. ewhitney1987

Feb 10, 2017
    Good News! She is now sitting as she should. She only comes off for about an hour in the mid to late afternoon and then promptly returns. Even better news I think my second female may be laying or has started sitting as she did not show up promptly for breakfast. (The search for here nest will begin after work) My question is should I be worried about my drake he seemed so lost this Moring wandering around looking for his girls. Is this normal?

5. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    YEAH for the 'committed' sit[​IMG] No worries about the drake... part of the process. I consider it THE ONLY time the girls get a break from the drake, lol. I hope you find your other girl real soon[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by