Questions about my black copper marans rooster.

kelck22

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
mukilteo, wa
My rooster is just a little over 5 months old. He does not crow and he doesn't have much coloring....is there something wrong with him? Shouldn't he be colorful?

I have 20 cockerels that are about 5-6 months old (several different breeds) and only about 5 of them ever crow. I think it's a case of less dominant males not feeling the need to.

Are you able to post a picture of him to give an idea of what his coloring is like?

Most likely he is over melanized(meaning too dark) I sometimes hatch chicks that grow up dark with not much copper dark face and legs and dark eyes. Not ideal for breeding but they tend to be very handsome still. As for crowing he may just be a late bloomer give it a few more weeks. Or as stated above if you have other roosters he may just be less dominant and doesn't care to compete.

Some of them don't have great coloring. I had 1 BCM roo that was hatched brown but turned out to be very pretty ( not BCM standards ) & one of my best Roo' ever (temperament wise). Yours may just not be great "breeding stock". It really just depends on what you looking for. You should post more pics :)

one of the hens

Last edited:

Heres one more. He is super friendly but is petrified of my hens. The person I got him from has been raising bcm for a while and all her hens consistently lay 8 or 9 on the color scale.

I thought he had wry tail but am thinking now it was an injury. One day it was all of a sudden at a 90 degree angle to his body but now it goes straight sometimes and when he roosts it is perfect. My hens were mauling him pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom