questions about my black copper marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sphynxcrazy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Sphynxcrazy

Sphynxcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    I have a friend who saved some bcm eggs for me. She has 4 bcm hens and 1 bcm rooster. and 30 other various hens. She saved me the darkest colored eggs, but apperently another hen layed dark eggs and i ended up with a yellow chick also.

I have a few questions though. If a chick is only half bcm will it still look like a bcm or will it be different? I hatched 4 random eggs from her a few months ago and got 2 yellow chicks which turned white, and 2 bcm looking chicks, which are 4 months old and the pullet looks like a bcm, and the roo very similar.

So Will these chicks that are half lay dark brown eggs or what can i expect? Im not sure how to go at all of this as i am so confused now about genetics and this and that. And my hatch right now is not turning out to well and i just read bcm are more prone to drown if the humidity was to high, and i think that's my problem!

Here is some other info, most have feathering on the legs and a few are clean legged. There feet are pink and blackish. some have more white than others under their chins.

Ive been reading that there eye color means something also.

I'm just confused so if someone understands what im writting any help and just anything about anything would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. Sphynxcrazy

Sphynxcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    i found out why some of my eggs are making it almost to hatching but don't pip means to high humidity. going to do an almost dry hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by