Questions about my BLRW

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peep_Show, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Got some BLRW eggs from eBay. This cute chick hatched out last night.
    [​IMG]

My question is, though, do BLRW have feathered legs?
    [​IMG]

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They aren't supposed to have feathered legs.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Wyandottes of any variety don't have feathered legs. Your feather-legged chick may be a Wyandotte mix, or a different breed.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

5. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    I have an inquiry in to the eBay seller of these BLRW eggs. They also raise marans and seramas. But it's a big OOPS to have this hatch out of an egg labeled "BLRW"

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Was the egg a darker brown? My guess from those breeds would be wheaton Marans, with the feathered shanks and pink skin. But looking back, your chicks definitely has a rose comb...so it must be a mix. I'd be getting my money back and leaving appropriate feedback for the seller unless they make it right for you. If you're selling pure bred hatching eggs, you've got to keep your breeds separate. Honestly, it's not that hard.

7. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Egg was a Wyandotte light brown like the rest of the eggs she sent. The marans roos the seller has are a Blue Copper and Black Copper. I have left two messages with the seller (who hasn't answered) and started refund proceedings on eBay. It was the only chick to hatch out of the eggs sent. Cute chick, but kind of a disappointment... Especially since the last several purchases of eBay eggs have been not what was advertised (Ever hear of a red CCL? That's what I got and that seller insisted the bright orange chick with no striping was a CCL. Or the sex-link chipmunk-is-a-girl that crowed.) Sheesh.....

I'm guessing it'll feather out as a splash whatever.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Since you've had such poor experiences in ebay, have you tried buying eggs from sellers here on byc? Not that everyone here is guaranteed to be honest (much as we'd like to think so!), but at least you can check out their other posts and get a feel for their knowledge base before you buy eggs.

9. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm not impressed with many E-bay sellers, one is actually selling their eggs using my rooster's picture. I research any I'm interested in by googling them, often finding out some info about them on here.

That said, anyone can make a mistake. But, the seller should sure be responding to you. Hope you get it worked out.

Buying eggs and chicks seems to be a 50/50 chance in finding a good seller. Keep trying and good luck!

10. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    The seller did respond! As it turns out, she got two hens from a flock that had a light Brahma roo (and now we know where the cute markings came from of the cap and saddle with grey stripes and eyeliner). Honest mistake. She had isolated the hens from her BLRW flock for six weeks, but guess that wasn't enough. She was astounded.

And, yes, she'll make it right....and contact the other person that got eggs about the same time I did to offer eggs or refund.

I've told her she should also check a couple of her BLRW eggs to check for roo potency. I eggtopsy all my eggs, even the clears. Other than the feather-legger, nothing developed in the other eggs and they did not have the telltale germinal bullseye or donut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by