Questions about my broody hen.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ragerkid2, Mar 4, 2012.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I have a light brahama who thinks she is broody. This is what she does, she decides she wants to sit. So I'll give her some golf balls to sit on. Then in the evening, she lays a egg and gets off her nest???? I don't get it. Why would she sit ALL day and lay an egg and change her mind???

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    I've noticed some of my game hens, before they start sitting, go through a stage real similar to this. They spend about a week or so 'prepping'. Has she gone completely bald underneath? Or at least pulled quite a few feathers? ALL of my broody hens pull feathers from their bellies. It helps keep the eggs warmer.

3. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I didn't take notice to this, I will check her tommorw. So you think she will eventually just go full on broody?

4. orumpoultry

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    There's a good possibility, yes. Has she started 'clucking'? Does she get really defensive of the nest? Any spikes in her temperature? These are all signs of a hen going broody.

5. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    This is the typical broody sound. (Credit to ADozenGirlz)

Does she make these noises and protect her eggs when you come near her?

6. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Oh my goodness!!! That's horrifying!!! I never knew a chicken could do that. It's like a cujo in chicken form! Anyways, no, she has never done that. But like I said she has only ever sat for 8-9 hours at a time. But when I put feed in my hand today, and offered it to her, I was pecked very hard. Then I tried to take her egg(golf ball) from underneath of her, and I got another really hard peck! I just wanted to give it back to he and see if she would roll in underneath if her like Iv seen in videos. Lol

7. orumpoultry

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    That sound brings me great joy in the spring.

8. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I have 12 chicks due to be her April 5 or 6th. Mabye I can give her a coupele chicks to raise.

9. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY

That's just funny! [​IMG]

10. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    I would not recommend doing that. She'll see them as an intrusion, and could possibly kill them. Be careful!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by