1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about my quails!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Ms.Melba, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Ms.Melba

Ms.Melba Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    My classroom hatched 23 quails last Monday. On Friday, I sent them to a friends farm but kept 3. My questions are...when can I stop feeding them every 4 hrs? What do I feed them when they are weaned off the "baby food"? How much longer do I need to provide the heating lamp for them? Thanks!!!!

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I'm not sure what species of quail we are talking about here, but most species should do well on a non stop all you can eat buffet of high protein game bird starter. If they eat everything you give them in 4 hours, then put 7x as much feed under their little fuzzy butts, and take a nap. [​IMG]

Brooding is another story. I know 5-25 people that raise coturnix, and they will argue about the exact temp drop/brood down temp increments. Other species have their various brood down temps X20 [​IMG]
    The general rule with any game bird/quail, is...Avoid piling, and over heating. Sorry I can't be more specific....You just get the hang of it when you do it.

If you are feeding Game bird starter "Baby food" to coturnix, then I will suggest that you keep that up, until they die or get dead. Other species of "quails" may require feed changes based on what's best for them at various stages of development, and a host of other things I'm unqualified to mention.

3. Ms.Melba

May 14, 2011
    Here is a picture of my babies.

[​IMG]

They are on 'Kaytee Exact HandFeeding with DHA Omega3'

Can i also give them a bath? Obviously not with soap and water, lol!!!!!!

Ps They are finishing up on eating, so if its messy, sorry.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  4. Ms.Melba

May 14, 2011
    A better picture. They are in a box just for the weekend bc their cage is too heavy to carry to and from my car and I wasn't leaving them over the weekend.

[​IMG]

5. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Ms.Melba :

Here is a picture of my babies.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l262/Melba26/IMAG0713.jpg

They are on 'Kaytee Exact HandFeeding with DHA Omega3'

Can i also give them a bath? Obviously not with soap and water, lol!!!!!!

Ps They are finishing up on eating, so if its messy, sorry.

Get them some game bird feed with at least 24% protein. Quail don't need to be hand fed like that, it sounds like they're on exotic bird feed. Quail eat a dry feed, not this baby mash for parrots. They look like coturnix, they can't have a bath because they shouldn't get wet... I would put them on shavings instead of newspaper, they can hurt their legs.​

6. Ms.Melba

May 14, 2011
    Ok, thanks. I will change the bedding now. Can I put toys in their cage, like bells or mirrors? They seem like a playful bunch. They will chirping and I will come to them, then they will chirping louder and hop up and down. Lol. They love to play. <3

7. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    That's fine, as long as they don't hurt themselves.[​IMG] Curiosity killed the quail.

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    They eat on their own from day one. Just sprinkle food (or mix the crumbles in water to give them a head start), I hope you aren't syringe feeding them?

9. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:It sounds like she's doing that. I will never have another baby parrot because of it...[​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by