1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Questions about my Swedish Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AmberH, May 24, 2010.

1. AmberH

AmberH Songster

Apr 21, 2010
    My cousin decided to bring his four ducks over for a play date with my two. The six birds love being together. The Swedish are siblings and then there are two mallards. We assume they are both females. We need help sexing the Swedish.

I was told that Swedish can be sexed by their bill color. Males are green and females are blue. Then again, when I try to listen to them, my blue has a very loud yell. My black has a raspy whisper. But the blue's bill is green and the black's is blue. I just don't know. lol Also, is my blue actually splash? Silver? I had never heard of a silver Swedish until last night. Any thoughts? The ducks and chicks are both 7 weeks old in these pictures.

Front row (left to right): Yakky (mine), Daffy (mine), Bandit
    Back row (left to right): Madi, The Mad Hatter, Ducky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They ended up having a sleep over. lol The whole crew. You can see Suri's tail in the dog house.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010

2. AmberH

AmberH Songster

Apr 21, 2010
    I had to give this thread a bump. It made it to page two with no replies... [​IMG]

3. jujubean99

jujubean99 Songster

Apr 5, 2010
    This is super cute!!! I wish I had friends with ducks to go on play dates, they are very social animals. I like the duck with the floppy head feathers!!!

4. AmberH

AmberH Songster

Apr 21, 2010
    Thank you for replying. [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    That is so cute...I have never let my ducks have a play date...but then again I have 18 adults and 8 ducklings at the moment...So I guess they dont need friends coming over.. Its so lovely that you arranged that for your duckies..How sweet of you and your cousin!!!

6. donniedarko

donniedarko In the Brooder

May 19, 2010
    Hi Amber,

I've never heard about Sweeds being sex'd by bill colour.

You might be getting that confused with another breed, such as Welsh Harlequin. Welsh's can be sex'd by bill colour with a high level of accuracy.

Darker bills mean a male and lighter bills ending in a dark spot are normally females. Within several days this distinction disappears. They are also a beautiful bird, especially the feather patterns and colors on the adult females. - Metzer Farms

Cheers!! [​IMG]

7. familyfarm4us

familyfarm4us Hatching

May 25, 2010
    How long does it take for black swedish eggs to hatch? My Loralei has been on the nest for a month or so. We had two hatch---one died. It has been two days and no more eggs have hatched.

8. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    How old are your ducks? Swedish can be sexed by bill color, though not when they are young. Males will be khaki/olive green and dark gray/black for females.

averetta likes this.
  9. AmberH

AmberH Songster

Apr 21, 2010
    The ducks are 7 weeks old.

10. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Judging by the top photo, the one on the far left might be male, the rest look female. I'll post a pic of one of my splash (sometimes called silver) girls so you have an idea what they look like. Your ducks are definitely blue, not splash.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by