questions about new hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bi0sC0mp, May 6, 2008.

1. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    i just got 3 hens and rooster middle of last week 2 of the hens are RIR the other is a BA they are around a litte more thne a yr old.. how long till they start getting use to the new place and start laying regular..and besides laying mash anything else i should feed them to help them lay better and between them 3 hens average how many eggs a week you think they would lay..plan on getting 3 more friday to put with them also..have a choice between the RIR/BA nad BO which ones you think i should get also..sorry for so many questions still learning thanks again

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    First off, if you have a rooster you need to not feed him layer feed. Feed them all a finisher, and provide oyster shells for the hens to eat free choice. This way the rooster won't get too much calcium which can be bad for your rooster.

3. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    well what kind of feed would you recomened and where you get oyster shells at never seen them thanks

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    You can find the oyster shell at any feed store. If you don't see it on the shelves just ask an employee for it. [​IMG]

CUDA suggested feeding the roos finisher in his above post. We do the same thing.

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by