Questions about New Zealand Rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RabbitLady2, Dec 20, 2016.

1. RabbitLady2

RabbitLady2 New Egg

Dec 20, 2016
    Hi, I am new to this site, I am rabbit breeder in CA, l have Several different breeds of rabbits, including New Zealand Whites, New Zealand Blacks, American Blues, American Chinchillas, Californians. I am a growing rabbitry, looking to expand into doing Broken New Zealand Red rabbits, I have a question about this breed. Can you get broken red rabbits by breeding New Zealand Whites with a New Zealand Red? If there is anyone out there willing to help me figure this out, that would be great. I too am willing to offer any help I can on any questions that are related to rabbits.

2. WPFarmstead

WPFarmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    North Idaho
    It's very possible, as a white rabbit is not really white, genetically speaking. The white acts like a trench coat, so to speak over the colors the rabbit actually is. That's why it is not recommended in most varieties to cross colors. There are a few really good color genetics sites available through Google if you want to learn the actual genetics behind color.

3. WPFarmstead

WPFarmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    North Idaho
    Can I ask why you are trying to work on an unaccepted color variety without knowing the genetics behind it?

4. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    That is a lot of breeds/colors to try to manage at once. I would suggest limiting the amount of rabbits you have in the other breeds/colors, so you can focus on your goal.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by