1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question's about Peeper's & Bit's

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by OzawkieBantams, May 2, 2011.

1. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    My question is this .

I have some Chukar's, and Silver Pheasants due to hatch in two day's at what point will I need to put peeper's or bit's on them to help prevent pecking, and cannibalism. I have tried the red brooder light, but it didn't seem to help much with my last batch of Chukar.

Anyone got any clue's or Idea's

Daren

2. OzawkieBantams

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    They are getting ready too Hatch .................. Anyone ? [​IMG]

3. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    I never use them with the chukars. This is what I do, it works here with my set up. but may not work for anyone else!

I start them off in a 4 X 4 brooder with a 100 watt light bulb in a heat lamp JUST above their reach so the bulb doesn't burn them. feed on one side, water on the other.

when they get started good, I try to keep the chicks a little cool! I don't mean piled under the light, but cool enough it keeps them busy running back and forth from the food, light, and water. When I see the the tale tale signs of pecking is about to start, I raise the light again to cool them off..

A word of wisdom, raise chukar with chukar and pheasants with pheasants!! My problem is at about 2-3 weeks of age, the pheasants are like pit bulls on a t-bone steak with the chukars!

4. OzawkieBantams

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:That was my next question thank you now I need to find another brooder [​IMG]

5. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    Quote:That was my next question thank you now I need to find another brooder [​IMG]

10 gal tote and another heat lamp is all you need for small batches [​IMG]

6. OzawkieBantams

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS

10 gal tote and another heat lamp is all you need for small batches [​IMG]

well I have another 30 gallon fish tank, but I'd be concerned about the ammonia build up.
    I guess it could work for a few days though. [​IMG]

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    For about $20 in supplies you can build a 4x4 brooder. Here is mine.
    [​IMG]

8. OzawkieBantams

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:Wow thats a very nice brooder

9. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If you don't crowd them in,they will not need blinders.They need enough space to get away from each other.If you use a red light bulb it will help from picking.
    In N.H.,Tony.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by