questions about Pekin ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kbarnes, Aug 13, 2014.

1. kbarnes

kbarnes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    wadsworth nv
    Hi, I'm Kathy. I have a pair of pekins . 1 hen and 1 drake, there's nothing wrong with them I don't think. They are 3 months old and they were about the same size until about 2 weeks ago and then my drake just had a massive growth spurt and he's a lot bigger than the hen. I would estimate that he's close to two to three pounds heavier than her and looks a lot bigger. Will she catch up with him or are they both on a normal growth rate. I will go and get a picture of them and post it next.

2. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I have a pair and they are 6 months old. They grew at the same rate and the drake is a bit bigger than the hen but not by a lot. At 3 months old they have a bit of growing to do yet just make sure they are getting good nutrition and everything should be fine.

3. kbarnes

Jun 25, 2014
    wadsworth nv
    Here are a couple pics drake is on the right on all of them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I might just be a broody mommy but the pictures just don't show how much he looks bigger in life. She looks so tiny and petite come pared to his bigger head,neck,and body.

4. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I will have to look at my Peking ducks tomorrow but from what I see in your pictures they appear to be the right size. The drake will be a bit bigger. I will look more closely tomorrow at their body differences. Good luck.

5. kbarnes

Jun 25, 2014
    wadsworth nv
    Thank you, crazyfeathers

6. kbarnes

Jun 25, 2014
    wadsworth nv
    I was just wondering if she was getting enough food. She eats good and they are both on all flock grower, with treats of greens and peas.....all the extra goodies from the veggies I cook the night before.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They look fine to me? drakes are bigger, bigger neck, bigger overall etc... i will have to locate a dedicated pic of my drake i don't have one.. when they are all together you can see his size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by