Questions about raising 2 pekins ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featheredfashions, Sep 13, 2011.

1. featheredfashions

featheredfashions Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Florida
    I recently got two little Pekin ducklings!!! Both are female and I was wondering if I should keep them apart for a while? They are going to be diapered house ducks and I really want them to imprint on us and our 2 little boys. So should I keep them apart or will they be ok interacting together? Should they sleep in the same crate at night or separate crates while they are young?? Any help would be soooooo appreciated [​IMG] Thank you!!

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I once had a duckling that didnt have a buddie and it was sad till the day it died, it was attact by a dog. What I am saying is, keeping them apart would make them a bit scared and lonley. If you keep them together they will be just as friendly. I have 6 ducklings at the moment, I have 4 welsh harlequin and two rouen, one of the rouens is my little baby, she is the sweetest thing EVER!!! And she is with the rest. I would say, let them be together.

3. featheredfashions

Aug 31, 2011
    Florida
    I am so sorry to hear that happened [​IMG] I just want them to really imprint on us versus each other. So i don't want them to be alone at all, but I don't know about when they are in their house. At least while they are young I mean. When they are older they will stay together for sure [​IMG]

4. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe you can take one for some one-on-one time with you and your family and vice versa. Although that does leave the other one by itself.

5. featheredfashions

Aug 31, 2011
    Florida
    Well usually Brian has one and I have one. So really during the day it isn't to bad. And I spend time with the both of them. I think I'm just going to let them stay in the same pen together at night. I can tell they are already imprinting on us. Thank you for the answers [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  6. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    As long as you are spending time with them, they will be fine. I have 2 and got them at separate times. When they were by themselves so young, they were just so sad.

7. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I got 2 ducks from the same hatch & they are best friends who are imprinted on me. I am the mama duck & they follow me all over. I can't imagine keeping them apart though, when I can cuddle them both. They have even helped make my older ducks, who I adopted from some not-so-hot folks, become very friendly. I think if you want them inside together they should get into their routines as early as possible. Then they'll love you, too, not instead. You are, after all the water bearer & pea distributor.

8. featheredfashions

Aug 31, 2011
    Florida
    lol. Thanks for the help everyone!! [​IMG] I think they are gonna be a little tag team from now on!! They are soooo sweet!! I will have to post some pics up soon [​IMG]

9. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Ducks are totally a flock animal. Ducklings are miserable by themselves and need a buddy, you can't be with them always. They will bond as a "flock" with their "mother". I would not stress them by separating them, unless they are actually with a person getting attention. A stressed duckling won't grow well and won't thrive and it won't affect their imprinting at all. It is also normal for ducklings that imprint on people when they are little to become less imprinted and more independent as they grow up (just like with their mothers). Don't worry about that, just get them eating from your hand and being used to being handled gently and they will be your buds regardless of imprinting. [​IMG]

10. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Quote:I'm happy you got lots of input! Looking forward to pics. Did you keep a boy or girl as the second one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by