questions about RIR, need advice!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AEJEfarm, Aug 21, 2016.

1. AEJEfarm

AEJEfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Backstory- We got 5 chickens online, 2 RIR, a buff, barred rock and Silver laced wyandotte online as chicks, they were raised together.

About a month ago, we got rid of the Buff orpington because it turned out SHE was a HE, even though we ordered pullets only. To replace him, we got a third RIR that was about 2-3 weeks older than our current flock, thinking the transition might be a little bit easier. theyre 16 weeks now, and the newer, older RIR is 20-22 weeks old. She has transitioned well, although the others do pick on her a bit... not violent, but chasing after her when I am giving out treats and such. Any advice on how to reduce this?

The other issue im having is that the new pullet sleeps in the nesting box! shes close to laying age so I dont want to block it off (it was blocked off until about 2 weeks ago). We got ceramic eggs to put in there but she just lays on top of them and goes to sleep. I need some advice! please help!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Introducing a single bird isn't a good idea. She will always be an outsider without a friend. She's sleeping in the boxes to stay away from the others. Making sure you have enough roosts can help. Chickens bond with those that they are raised with and don't like outsiders. She will eventually be part of the flock but always separate.

3. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    I agree with what was previously said, she will always e near the bottom of the pecking order, it is the same way with my hens, the older ones rule. My hens sleep all over my coop, on the floor, on the roof, on rosts, snuggle up together, but they all lay fine. :)

4. AEJEfarm

AEJEfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    the interesting thing is that a couple of weeks ago she was roosting with them, snuggling in with the others. It was only about a week ago did she decide to move into the nest box. should i block it off at night and reopen it when I open up the coop at around 7am?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would block the boxes for a few days, otherwise go out at dusk and remove her and put her on a roost.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This what I do...because of the new pullets every year, it can take weeks and weeks before they stop trying to roost in nests.
    I rigged a hinged cover on nests that I put down an hour or so before roost time, then I open it back up after dark when I lock up coop and everyone's roosted.
    You could open it early in the morning(at daybreak) too tho, if it fits your schedule better.

The newbie will probably always be low bird, but that can change too.
    The pecking is normal, that's how they roll, if no bloody beatings are happening, I'd not worry about it.
    Multiple feed/water stations can really help if the new bird is not getting to eat/drink.
    Sounds like you got lucky integrating a single bird with no bloodshed, usually it's very difficult.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by