Questions about Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kaybug137, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Kaybug137

Kaybug137 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    My Rooster Fred is going after everyone except me and my mom and dad, the ones he grew up around, but he goes after my nieces and nephew, and whomever comes out here, what can I do to get him to stop, I don't want to get rid of him 'cause he keeps the girls safe. Also. Is there a way to keep more than 1 Rooster, both my Silkies turned out to be boys.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Here is a thread on retraining aggressive roosters that may help you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...succeeded-in-retraining-an-aggressive-rooster

As for keeping more than one rooster. If you have enough hens (10+ hens per rooster) and enough space it can work. Not saying it will, but I've had more than rooster in my flock at a time and they worked out a pecking order that they were happy with. I did have quite a few hens and plenty space for them to roam and they lived together peacefully, most of the time. It does help if the roosters grow up together.

Good luck!

3. Kaybug137

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    Two acre's ALOOOt of spacee lol. I have 13 girls. 3 out of the girls are not laying yet they're the newest additions.

4. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    If your two silkies grew up together. You could make them a small silkie coop and let them live together. I have my roosters living in a separate coop they get along well.

5. Kaybug137

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    Fred the oldest Roo a RIR. He tollerates the silkie brother's. I'm just afraid once they get older. I know the silkies jump at each other with hackles raised nothing more. And don't have the money to fix up another coop.

6. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    When cockerels are teenagers they will bump chests and raise their hackles it's a teenage thing..I don't think it has anything to do with aggressiveness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by