1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about Run & Ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CatsCrazyCoop, Jul 5, 2011.

1. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Ok. HELP! AHHH!

Finally working on building my coop & run. [​IMG] Yay! My carpenter (and very cranky) dad is helping me. He tends to become a know-it-all when he doesn't really - so I figured I would ask my experts here. [​IMG]

Question about coop: He is putting windows in more for show. They don't open/close. He will be putting ventilation across the 4 walls of the coops and I THINK in the roof. Will that be enough?

Question about run: I am putting some of the run under my sunroom, so that they can have shade/shelter to get out of the elements - and the rest of the run will of course, be outside. Right now, under the sunroom is those white rocks... do I need to replace those for the floor of the run portion? If so, what should I use that will work best for the chickens, that will not be getting any sun, rain or anything else. Also, the floor of the outside portion of the run, is of course grass. I have read a lot of different things... that they run needs to be moved periodically because the chickens will kil off the grass... or that the grass needs to be replaced with sand or something... so, I am reaching out to you - my expert pals... is there anything specific I need to do for the chicken's grass in the run?

Lastly... Do I need to clean the poop out from the run? If so, how often?

Thank you my chicken crew.
    Carolyn

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Question about coop: He is putting windows in more for show. They don't open/close. He will be putting ventilation across the 4 walls of the coops and I THINK in the roof. Will that be enough?

Of course it depends on how much ventilation he is putting in and how he is doing it plus your climate, plus how much direct sun you get and all that, so I can't say for sure. I have it on all four walls and that is pretty much sufficient. But he might be putting in a lot or he might not. And having something safe to open during the summers to add to the ventilation can be a huge benefit.

Windows that let in light are not just for show. They let you see inside the coop and they help your chickens go to bed when it is getting dark. If it is too dark in the coop at bedtime for them to see, they don't want to go in there.

Question about run: I am putting some of the run under my sunroom, so that they can have shade/shelter to get out of the elements - and the rest of the run will of course, be outside. Right now, under the sunroom is those white rocks... do I need to replace those for the floor of the run portion? If so, what should I use that will work best for the chickens, that will not be getting any sun, rain or anything else.

I don't know what the white rocks look like. If they are extremely sharp, they might cut their feet and cause bumblefoot. It they are fairly smooth, they should not ba a problem at all, especially if they have a dirt area to sunbathe in.

Also, the floor of the outside portion of the run, is of course grass. I have read a lot of different things... that they run needs to be moved periodically because the chickens will kil off the grass... or that the grass needs to be replaced with sand or something... so, I am reaching out to you - my expert pals... is there anything specific I need to do for the chicken's grass in the run?

Chickens will destroy any grass in the run. It is just what they do. They eat it and if they don't eat it, they scratch it up. For small runs, adding sand can help drainage and make it easier to clean. But it will not protect the grass.

Lastly... Do I need to clean the poop out from the run? If so, how often?

Depends on how big the run is, how many chickens you have, wherer it is located, and a bit on what your climate is like. If it is wet, you might need to clean it out more often. If you have the minimum space for the chickens, you will probably have to clean it out. If it is located near where people live you may need to keep it cleaned out for the smell, though keeping it dry is the best smell preventative. I have a lot of room in my dry isolated run and I never clean it out. Some people have little bitty runs and clean them out daily.

So to answer most of your questions, there are no clear answers to any of them. It depends on your individual circumstances and conditions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by